Level: AS and A LEVEL
Exam Board: WJEC
Location: Y Pant School
Requirements/Skills for entry to the Course
Students should have 5 GCSE grade C passes. There is no requirement to have followed GCSE Business Studies previously.
Business Studies Department Website
Please visit business-studies.ypant.co.uk to see examples of pupil work, pupil profiles and information about trips.
The Business Studies Department offers the WJEC Advanced GCE in Business (new specification) in Year 12 and 13. This course offers a logical progression for those who have studied GCSE Business Studies with the same examination board and yet provides an opportunity for those opting for the subject for the first time.
The course can be studied at AS or A level, a summary of the scheme of assessment for AS and A level is set out in the table below. For additional details visit the WJEC website.
The WJEC AS and A level in Business encourages learners to:
- develop a critical understanding of organisations and their ability to meet society’s needs and wants
- understand that business behaviour can be studied from a range of perspectives
- generate enterprising and creative approaches to business opportunities, problems and issues
- be aware of the ethical dilemmas and responsibilities faced by organisations and individuals
- develop critical understanding of organisations, the markets they serve and the process of adding value. This will involve consideration of the internal workings and management of organisations and the process of decision-making in a dynamic external environment
- create awareness that business behaviour can be studied from the perspectives of a range of stakeholders including customer, manager, creditor, owner/shareholder and employee
- enable students to acquire a range of skills including decision-making and problem solving in the light of evaluation and, where appropriate, the quantification and management of information.
Students will be given the opportunity to be involved in visits to businesses to observe production methods. Recent sixth form trips have included visiting local businesses Perkin Elmer, Sigma 3 Kitchens and Sony along with visiting Land Rover Jaguar in Birmingham.
The Specification at a Glance
Staff to consult for further information. – Miss J. Gavaghan/Mr S Rees